Saturday, April 13, 2013

Big fat spring post

 These are sort of out of order because I am sloppy like that.  I'll start with this week, go back, and then bring it back to this week and end with right now.

We celebrated Leeor's birthday Thursday night with a dinner out at the Claremont and a shared brownie sundae at home.  Avi was very focused on the sundae and we are pretty sure he ate most of it.

He did, however, manage to eat some vegetables this week--hallelujah! One day I'm sure this time of poor nutrition won't seem like such a big deal, but at the moment it totally feels like one.
 Even more out of order are photos from a Passover Seder at Saba and Savta's on March 30.  I couldn't go because I had to work the next day (my last Sunday of covering the Children's Hospital! Hooray!), and we hosted a Seder earlier in the week but unfortunately took no photos.  I did manage to make a mean matzoh ball soup.  Really, I did.
 I loved these photos of the cousins and family together.  And the matzoh, of course. We still have boxes of it going stale on the kitchen counter.  Every day I look at it and sigh.  Compost bin? Save?
 A glimpse of our future: baby cousin Kai at the mercy of Avi and Lilit with a watchful hand of Savta's guaranteeing safety.
***
 Back to this week and Leeor's birthday dinner.  Quite a challenge to photograph our firstborn, but when there are copious amounts of bread on the table, he's easier to capture. Leeor mentioned something about how nice it was to sit together at the table for dinner and I agreed, saying we should do it more often.

"How about we just eat here together every night!" Avi piped up, ever helpful.  Oh, I wish!
 Back home to our more humble trappings and shared dessert.  We are cutting back on sweets around here, but a birthday is a birthday! Leeor was so easygoing and just want to celebrate with the kids. As I am much more of a birthday diva, yet not terribly organized to plan for anything, I so appreciated him yet again.
 Not to worry honey, you also get your grown up celebration with our pals-- a Hitchcock movie and dinner.
 He didn't want any gifts.  Just time with his beautiful girl and boy.  I couldn't help noticing a family of three a few tables to our left . . .it didn't seem too hectic.  And not once did our kids need re-directing. I was pleasantly surprised and left the restaurant full and happy.

***
 All week long, Avi has been anticipating his soccer debut.  Soccer Shots at Cedar-Rose park in Berkeley is a good place to start--no cleats, no keeping score, just basics and fun.
 We joke around that Avi is a deprived Bay Area kid because he's never had any extra curricular activities.  This seemed like the right choice at the right time.
 I became, unknowingly, one of those parents who shout encouragement at their child from the sidelines.  I told Leeor to bring a muzzle for me next Saturday.
 Little sister occupied herself with Saba and the playground but then really wanted to join the big kids. She inched closer and closer to the action, finally snagging a hoop for herself.
 She has quite the range of expressions, from no-nonsense to sweet and whimsical.  Don't tell her, but we are big fans of her serious face.  Don't mess with this toddler.
 Parenting can be so joyful, the meaning captured with love in sunshiny moments.  Thank god, because there are other times that make me want to scream in frustration or run away.  I said the latter to Leeor earlier this week.  I'm sure being pregnant doesn't help.  He instructed me to put my hands on our kitchen counter, to ground and breathe deeply.  It helped.  I didn't really want to run away.  I just wanted that particular moment of parenting to be a little easier.
 When it's good, it's sooooo good! Having friends to share the journey with certainly helps.  And family that supports and loves us so much.  The ability to reflect and take it all together, the good, the challenging, and to try not to judge and compare it all so much.  That it's all the same.
So far, I am loving this spring.  I feel hopeful and excited about the future for our family.  I feel, at 14 weeks, so much better, physically, than I did a month ago.  I enjoy my work and also live for the weekends, when we get to stay in bed until 7 am and see the joy on the kids' faces when we remind them that no one has to go to work or school for two whole days!

Auntie Maital is in town right now, and Savta's birthday was yesterday, so we get to keep the celebrations going.  Avi and Leeor are at a birthday party down the street while Lilit naps and I type to the comfortable swish of the dishwasher.  It's all good.

3 comments:

Gillian said...

yahoo for phat spring post! i love the soccer mom pic of you! no idea your pregnant from that pretty face. leeor looks so content too. so great to see everyone in their glory. can't wait to see you all in the flesh soon!

Gillian said...

yahoo for phat spring post! love all the pics, especially you and leeor looking so beauteous and content. can't wait to see you all soon.

Kathleen said...

your daughter is getting cuter every day. Saw young Thomas yesterday... he's going to start soccer in the fall. They just grow so fast! Enjoy it all.