It's late; I wait for Leeor to get home from work while the kids sleep and the dishwasher does its thing.
We have lived in our new house in Berkeley for exactly one week except I feel more settled than that--though boxes litter our home and clog the garage, I feel grounded here. While I wrestle with my neurotic "I don't deserve all this good stuff" thoughts, mostly I feel happy and grateful.
***
This morning I waited with Lilit for the refrigerator repair guy. I realized my "biggest" problem right now was a busted fridge; sure, we'd just purchased it and the repair guy had already been out once and four bottles of breastmilk sat curdling in the warm freezer, but surely there are worse problems!
So I puttered while he probed in the depths of the stainless steel Maytag beauty that we scored from the Sears Outlet for a song, played with sweet Lilit until she fell into blissful slumber and then washed dishes and continued my slow and easy putting-it-all-away ritual. I think I will be doing the latter for awhile.
It's good to live in Berkeley. We are close to the bay and a cool breeze always drifts our way. My backyard is lush and unfamiliar; while Lilit continued her nap I wandered out there and plunged tentative fingers into the dirt of my garden, looking for clues. I clumsily pushed a leaning plant back into place and marveled at how good it felt to dig around though I have no idea what I'm "supposed" to do.
Even our commute hasn't been too bad so far . . . when we all go into the city together it's so easy to cruise along the carpool lane, Avi and Lilit giggling and holding hands in the backseat while we chat over coffee steaming in our travel mugs. Those days are long and I'm grateful I don't work every day.
The theme of change continues as we look for a new nanny for my baby girl, who is in the tight grip of separation anxiety and only seems to want me or Leeor these days. I don't underestimate what a big deal it is that she now sleeps (pretty much through the night, hallelujah!) in her own room. Last night I gazed into the empty darkness next to our bed--into the space she used to occupy in the pack n play. I whispered to Leeor that I missed her. "I know," he replied, "but why are you whispering?" as there was no baby in our room who might awaken at any moment and reach for me.
But it also feels good to reclaim my room, my space. I sit in here tonight, listening to music while I type away and my eyes blur . . . Avi will likely continue his new routine of softly padding into our room at some point during the night and climb into bed between us (so the room is not entirely ours just yet). Last night he settled in only to remember he'd left his lovey back in his room and I groggily prepared to retrieve it but he surprised me by getting it himself, his own comfort in our new home growing each day.
I love it here. And don't even get me started about this fabulous little city, edgy and suburban all at once, filled with righteous history as well as the promise of a great future for us and our little ones.
6 comments:
What an exciting time for you and your family. Great that the kids will have a home to remember growing up in. All good things.... and you deserve every one of them.
I agree with Kathleen, you deserve all this and more.
Saba
Yay you're in the East Bay! xoxo
So glad you're in!
And look at that lush kale in the backyard, what a prize!
So happy for you,
Rachel
dang, girl. you're one heck of a writer. i love that post. i love the image of your finger in the dirt. go with that. you've got it.
oh how we've grown up. remember the hazy little homes we found ourselves in back in the day? your place above carol's garage? olga's rich and weird pad? wild shit. love our history and love you.
Popping over from Finny's blog. I'm not too far away over the Altamont :)
My just turned 8 year old climbed into my bed last night and slept there. (along with the dog and 2 cats lol) I keep saying he won't want to sleep there when he's 15 but I'm starting to wonder ;)
Post a Comment