It's still a new-ish holiday for me, but I really like it. Leeor couldn't even tell me the whole story about it when I asked last week, so we turned to Wikipedia for a thorough explanation. It was a little too thorough. For us, it's not really about the Macabees, or anything all that religious. This time of year, no matter what we celebrate, is about being with family and feeling gratitude for so much. I love all the trimmings that go with my rich interfaith life; Hanukah brings beautiful candle-lighting ritual, prayer, and a good excuse to eat fried food and exchange gifts with people I love but don't get to spend enough time with. And Christmas feels like more of the same, lights, food, celebration, Mahalia belting out all my favorite carols with gusto. Even Leeor likes her take on Christmas songs. It's not about religion for me, or even gifts, though I had a lot of fun wrapping presents in some awesome Hanukah paper I found at Costco.
Last year I felt a little holiday angst, but this year I feel more integrated. It was nice to breathe the scent of a Christmas tree at my mom's last week, to hang familiar ornaments, to watch Avi squeal with delight at the ritual. He was just as delighted with the first night of Hanukah. I am glad our children will have the unique opportunity to partake in whatever they choose as they grow.
I can't imagine any other way. I chose to raise my children in a "Jewish home," even though I wasn't raised in one. We are still defining what that means for us. For me, it's important that we recognize and celebrate difference. Leeor and I won't be able to relate much to our children's upbringing. They will come of age in a different home from what either of us knew. I think that kind of evolution is a good thing, and I also know that's partly why we chose to spend our lives together. We value and honor each other's uniqueness, culture and traditions.
A few years ago, we were at our friends' parents house for a holiday dinner. Our hosts had met in college (which happened to be the same Jesuit school I attended) and they casually remarked about how lucky they thought we were. "We're so boring and the same!" they jested (they are the opposite of boring, nor do they seem to be clones), and I remember feeling surprised at their sentiment. But I get what they meant. Leeor and I, and our children, are very blessed to blend a variety of traditions that are meaningful to us, and to keep discovering ways to celebrate together.
I couldn't get it together to send a holiday card this year, but I love receiving them from family and friends. This post feels like a long holiday missive, so here's wishing all our loved ones much hope, light and love, not just this holiday season, but for the new year to come. It's going to be a good one.
1 comment:
I think it's so great the way you're blending your traditions and teaching Avi about difference.
I've been trying to explain both Christmas and Hanukkah to Sadie but as you said "it's pretty much open to interpretation" for them at this age.
We listen to Christmas carols in the car and when applicable, I tell her "they're singing about baby Jesus being born, because Christmas is his birthday", etc. She has a MaccaBee (bee) toy that plays Hanukkah songs and she said to me "they're singing about baby Jesus!"
Um, no.
I think I'll hit that Wikipedia page for some info! :)
Post a Comment