We had a great family road/camp/couch surfing time. We left on a Saturday, our car groaning from the weight of camping and urban gear co-mingled with kid goods. Our borrowed DVD player remained a mysterious secret that we revealed only during the last leg of that first day, as we neared our damp campground at Patrick's Point, just north of Arcata.
The kids zoned out to Totoro (the first of many viewings over the week) while Leeor repeated, "oh my god!" over and over as he gazed out the window at the steady drizzle. I fell into the role of cheerleader (and hissed, "don't say, 'oh my god,' you'll incite panic amongst the little ones; Avi overheard some of this and interjected helpfully, "but Mommy, you always say 'oh my god;' Aba can say it if he wants to," and properly chastened by my 4 year old, I fell silent but remained determined to have a good time on our first camping trip.
Leeor and I both burst into action and the kids were sort of confused but so great about the way they simply roll with whatever we provide. Camping? Cool!
The tent got up mostly without incident and the man of the family could relax once he'd provided proper shelter from the elements. I made a fire and got us domestically set up. We grilled and roasted, swooned over the ocean waves and watched many a camper defy the cones and signs of a washed out beach path and head down anyway.
It rained all night but no matter; we were dry and cozy. Unfortunately, it turns out that I don't sleep well in nature; so weird, right? But Lilit eventually woke up, as did Avi. Avi asked drowsily, "Can you help me back into my bag, Mommy? in his sweet nighttime stage whisper, "I came out of it!" And after the kids both settled back into their respective beds, I snuggled next to Leeor and finally dozed off.
(Look how frazzled we are before we arrive at the splendor of Patrick's Point! This family needs some time in nature!)
After our first night, we were ready to mix nature with a little urban hiking, which is very much our style.
We spent a fun day in Arcata and then explored some park trails. Avi had a bowel movement au naturel; my little nature lover.
My girl fancied the jewelry display in town. Me, too.
I wish you could see Lulu dancing in the record store. Gold, baby! Gold!
The second night was dry and more restful for all of us. I think the steak and wine combo helped. And the s'mores, obviously.
I was pleased with myself for toting the French press.
And a little extra candlelight.
A drugstore wool hat worn by all.
Avi snapped a good sunset photo of this upside down slug.
Onward to Eugene!
Leeor couldn't resist a quick stop for photos of the giant Paul Bunyan statue, and, he assured me, the anatomically correct ox.
Further up the coast, we lunched at a joint lousy with paintings of cats. I can't believe I haven't documented "gako calle," but let me say, for the record, it's one of Lulu's best quotes. Gako calle, aka, gato calle, aka, the cat in the street, is what she and Ilse do every day. As in, they go for a walk to look for cats. Needless to say, Lulu was super excited to be surrounded by Gako Calle!!!
We happily arrived in Eugene, where the temperatures soared upward and we rinsed the dirt off our bodies and clothes.
We stayed with Brian, Rachel and baby Theo, who has an impressive list of nicknames. Baby Fifi was one of my favorites.
What a sweet and generous family of 3. Avi and Lilit loved revisiting their own respective babyhoods by playing with his toys. And getting hold of some bubble wrap that provided long bouts of entertainment. They may have watched Totoro again one morning while Rachel and I grabbed a quick walk.
And there was a water park.
Gako calle!!
Baby Theo!
Rachel is a very cool chick.
After two nights in Eugene, we ambled back on I-5 and made haste to Portland. Leeor actually played the opening song from Portlandia as we parked near Powells; which was our first stop. The kids loved spotting many of their favorite literary treats and each scored a book to add to their car nests. We arrived and Michelle, Ryan, Owen and Eli's ready to enjoy a whirlwind trip in a fabulous city.
Oh yes, gako calle.
Behold the dragon tower, which, believe it or not, actually made its way home with us.
Our hosts, who are actual Portland natives, marveled (and possibly mocked, which is okay), at how much ground we covered. "Put a bird on it!" was a running joke and anthem. Two dear friends of mine also happened to be in town serendipitously, and we were able to squeeze in some (too short) visits. So many moving parts and yet it all worked out beautifully!
Hippie parents love when their offspring fashion an impromptu drum circle!
Plugged in at family dinner out on the town.
Multnomah Falls
Avi, Owen and Eli.
I prematurely mourned our vacation as we pulled out of Portland Saturday afternoon and Avi sagely noted, "Mommy, it's still our vacation today!" I needed to hear it.
We even got one last visit in with our pals in Eugene on our way down the 5; one last meal at Laughing Planet before the evening journey to Ashland. We arrived late, dumped the kids fully clothed into hotel beds and crept in beside them. They were pretty cute in the morning as they entertained other guests with their underwear antics.
Avi helping Lulu with her crocs is one of my favorite sibling moments between them thus far. A long, hot drive ensued.
As we pulled into our driveway and tumbled out of the car, our neighbors magically appeared with cold beers to soothe the unpacking. Our kids eagerly played while we chatted and lugged in our wares.
I have to sneak up on them for photo ops.
We are settling into the end of summer at home. I miss vacation but it's also good to be home. Avi is now officially 4 and a half, while Lulu is singing her ABCs and songs in Spanish. Leeor has started another academic year at GGU while I am envisioning a hectic fall.
Still, I am holding onto summer and piled the kids into the stroller for a late walk tonight. Their heads slumped the same direction while they slept and I carried each of them into the house while I savored their sweet-smelling heads.
Will I ever get over this simultaneous immersion in the present while mourning the future that hasn't yet passed? I am convinced impermanence is at the root of all unhappiness. But capturing our vacation here, memorializing it, is important. Wrapping up this post is more difficult than sifting through the thousands of photos, but I have to stop. One of our simplest, but best, trips ever.
4 comments:
So much fun reading this post. Looks like a beautiful time with a beautiful family!
You are a braver woman than I. I love that you savor the whole experience. Adding to your treasure.
Such a beautiful treat to see team Neta. I love those pics from our day almost as much as I love you!
lovely. inspiring! thanks for sharing it with us. :)
Post a Comment